City of Leduc’s 2019 environmental progress report now available
The 2019 environmental progress report, offering insights on the city’s many environmental initiatives, is now available online.
The 12-page report focuses on outcomes in environmental leadership, greenhouse gas reduction actions, waste diversion, enhancing natural areas, energy efficiency, solar power and air quality.
“This annual report is an excellent way to track the city’s progress in reaching the environmental goals as outlined in our 10-year Environmental Plan,” said Mayor Bob Young. “We have made significant progress on implementation of this Plan and Council continues to be committed to moving forward made-in-Leduc environmental initiatives that strengthen the quality of life of our community.”
The report highlights:
- Approved greenhouse gas reduction target and actions on buildings, land use and waste reduction to reduce emissions as laid out in the new Greenhouse Gas Action Plan.
- Third year of solar power results at the Leduc Recreation Centre and the Leduc Operations Building generating 1,515 megawatt hours of energy - resulting in $160,000 in operational savings annually.
- New services that have launched at the Eco Station including a pilot project to recycle clean, clear glass as well as scrap metal, cooking oil, tires and propane tanks.
- Highest number of annual visits to the Eco Station, with over 40,000 visits by residents of City of Leduc and our partners, Leduc County and City of Beaumont.
- Residential curbside diversion increase to 52%.
- Third year of air quality monitoring - showing levels well below the monthly objectives for sulphur dioxide and nitrogen dioxide.
- Leduc Environmental Advisory Board’s pollinator garden challenge continued for its second year resulting in an additional 40 pollinator gardens being planted.
Due to COVID, the progress report is available online this year only.
To view the report, click here.
For more information about the environmental progress report or other environmental initiatives, e-mail email@example.com or call the Eco-smart Hotline at 780-980-7107.
— 30 —
Olivia Oh, Marketing Specialist