Street sweeping begins when all of the snow has melted off the streets. Sweeping continues through the spring, summer and fall seasons. Sweeping clears the salt, sand, garbage, and rock crush that have been deposited throughout the winter, making road surfaces safe and clean for residents. This clean-up also prevents the water system from becoming clogged.
Process: street sweeping efforts include two sweeps:
1. to pick up the materials laid over the winter season for recycling purposes
2. to remove the remaining debris, garbage and clean.
Priority is given to the main arterial and collector roadways during the year’s initial snow melt. Residential street sweeping follows, usually in later April or May. With the early snow melt this year, City crews are monitoring the condition of our streets along with the weather forecast to determine when residential sweeping will begin. Please see the tentative timelines below.
To date the following work has been initiated:
- January 5 – Centerline portion of arterial roadways (curbs excluded due to snow and ice build-up). Work done over five days prior to snowfall.
- March 3 – Started spring roadway clean-up of areas including all arterial roads and the north industrial business sector.
- March 22 – Clean-up of residential back alleys, City-owned parking lots, and downtown business back lanes. Work is expected to be completed by March 25.
- March 24 – Clean-up of collector roadways (centre section only due to ice and snow build up in curb).
- April 6 - Clean-up of downtown and central business district (curb to curb).
- April 14 – Clean-up of residential areas. Subdivision priorities will be determined based on garbage collection and priorities (similar to how we schedule snow removal; the schedule below will be updated regularly when work begins). Signs will be posted in neighbourhoods, and we request residents' assistance in removing vehicles from the street when they see signs in their area to allow sweepers the space to do their work effectively and efficiently. Crews will also ensure that all school areas will be swept during the spring break.
Note, this schedule may be impacted by vehicle breakdown/maintenance and weather.
Orange - Scheduled
Green - Completed
Yellow - Pending
|Black Stone||Apr. 27 - 28|
|Corinthia Park||Apr. 20 - 21|
|Deer Valley||Apr. 29|
|Lakeside Estates||May 3|
|Leduc Estates||May 3|
|North Telford||Apr. 16|
|South Park||Apr. 23|
|South Telford||Apr. 16|
|Tribute||Apr. 19 - 20|
|West Haven||Apr. 15|
|Willow Park||Apr. 26 - 27|