Cart Content & Preparation
Green carts are manually inspected on an ongoing basis by City staff and the collection contractor. Additional inspections will take place the week of Nov. 9 on your collection day. Please ensure your green cart contains acceptable items only. Contaminated carts will not be collected. Call the Eco-smart Hotline at 780-980-7107 with any questions. Learn more here.
Waste Cart & Waste Material
Waste is defined as any household items that aren't organic or can't be recycled.
All waste must be put in a bag and placed in your black waste cart. Your cart will not be collected or emptied if there is loose waste.
- Items like glass that can't currently be recycled are considered to be waste and should go in your waste cart.
- Use your waste cart for all sanitary products, wipes and diapers. Flush smarter. Sort it. Don't clog it!
- Glass drinking containers (pop, juice, beer bottles) can be returned to the Leduc Bottle Depot for a refund.
Do you routinely have more waste than can fit in your cart? Rent an extra waste cart for $12.25/month for a minimum period of 6 months. Certain terms of service are in place for residents arranging for a second waste cart. Call the Eco-smart Hotline at 780-980-7107 for details.
These materials go in the black waste cart for proper and safe disposal:
|Air filters||Cookie bags (coated paper)||Garden hose||Pillows|
|Air fresheners (countertop/car)||Cereal box liners||Gift wrap (metallic)||Plastic bottle caps|
|Anti-static sheets||Clothes||Juice bottles (glass)||Ribbons/bows|
|Baby food jars (glass)||Clay flower pots||Laminated paper products||Rope|
|Bakeware||Cleaning wipes||Leather||Rubber bands|
|Band-aids||Cutlery||Light bulbs (standard)||Styrofoam|
|Bottle caps||Coat hangers (metal/wire)||Lids (plastic/metal)||Soiled wipes|
|Bubblewrap||Dry cleaner bags||Microwave dishes||Static cling dryer sheets|
|Cassette tapes||Egg cartons||Needles (in safe container)||Wine cork (plastic)|
|Cellophane||Foil wrappers||Pencils||Wood pieces (small)|
|Ceramics/dishes||Floor sweepings||Plastic||Wrapping paper|
|Cigarette butts||Foam||Plastic bags||Ziploc bags|
These materials DO NOT go in the black waste cart:
- Clean recyclables
- Hazardous household waste
Sorting your organics material into your green cart will help our community achieve the 65% waste diversion target.
Extra organics carts are available for $8.15/month for a minimum period of 6 months. Call the Eco-smart Hotline at 780-980-7107 for details.
These materials go in the green organic cart for proper and safe disposal:
|Ashes (cooled)||Corn cobs||Grass clippings||Pizza/soiled boxes|
|Bakery goods||Dairy products||Grease (kitchen)||Popcorn/bags (paper)|
|Beef & scraps||Dead animals (small)||Gum||Popsicle sticks|
|Bones||Dead plants/flowers||Hair||Pork & scraps|
|Bread||Dirt (small amt.)||Kabob skewers (wood)||Pumpkins|
|Cheese||Dirty paper||Kitchen scraps||Rice|
|Chicken & scraps||Dog waste (compostable bag)||Leaves||Sauces/spreads|
|Candy||Dryer lint||Meat/bones||Sawdust/wood chips|
|Cardboard (soiled)||Eggs/shells||Oil (used cooking/cooled)||Seafood/shells|
|Cat litter||Facial tissue (soiled)||Oily/fatty foods||Seeds/nuts|
|Cat waste (compostable bag)||Feathers||Paper (shredded)||Shredded paper|
|Cereal||Fish & parts||Paper bags||String (cotton)|
|Coffee filters/grounds||Flour/grains/dough||Paper products (soiled)||Tea bags|
|Cooking oil (cooled)||Fruit/peelings||Pasta|
|Cotton balls (clean)||Garden waste||Peanut shells|
These materials DO NOT go in the organics cart:
- Clean recylables
- Hazardous household waste
- Plastic bags, including thin grocery produce bags (only paper bags and 100% compostable bags are accepted in the organics cart)
To bag or not to bag?
It is best to place your organics loose in the cart. The only exception is pet waste, which must be bagged in an approved 100% compostable bag. Approved bags are marked by the manufacturer with both the U.S. and Canadian compostable logos and can be found at most retailers in Leduc:
|Canadian Tire||Dollarama||Giant Tiger||Rona|
|Shoppers Drug Mart||No Frills||Costco||Walmart|
Cleaning & Maintaining Your Organics Cart
Preparing your green organics cart for pickup is easy and will ensure all material can be emptied on collection day.
- Keep the cart lid closed.
- Line the cart with 100% compostable bags, paper towels or newspaper so material doesn’t stick to the bottom.
- Wrap material in newspaper or use approved compostable bags.
- Alternate layers of ‘brown’ material (leaves, shredded paper, cardboard, sawdust) and ‘green’ material (meat, dairy, garden waste).
- Store your organics cart out of the direct sun in a cool, well-ventilated area year-round.
- Put your cart out for collection on scheduled collection days even if it is not full.
- Sprinkle the rim of your cart with a small amount of baking soda, vinegar, salt or garden lime.
- Place a briquette in the bottom of your cart.
- Keep food scraps frozen until your scheduled collection day.
- Rinse the cart weekly or every second week with a water/vinegar mix or a diluted bleach solution.