Special Disposal Services
There are so many household products that make our lives easier and more enjoyable. Many of these products, however, contain chemicals or other materials that could be harmful to the environment if they aren’t disposed of properly. Leduc residents can safely dispose of household hazardous waste and electronic waste (e-waste) at the city’s waste and recycling facilities.
Household Hazardous Waste
|Abrasive cleaners||Bug spray||Hair colouring||Shoe polish|
|Acetone||Butan refills||Ink cartridges||Solvents|
|Aerosol cans||Car batteries||Insect spray||Smoke detectors|
|Aerosol paint||Car wax||Laundry stain remover||Spa/pool chemicals|
|Ajax||Carpet cleaner||Nail polish||Stain remover|
|Aklaline batteries (non-rechargeable)||Compact fluorescent lights||Oil (used/vehicle)||Tile cleaner|
|All-purpose cleaners||Disinfectant||Oil filters||Toiler bowl cleaner|
|Ant powder||Drain opener||Oven cleaner||Upholstery cleaner|
|Antifreeze||Fire extinguisher||Paint/paint thinner||Used oil filters|
|Barbeque starter||Furniture polish||Pesticides||Used motor oil|
|Batteries (all types)||Gas||Poisons||Varnish|
|Bleach||Glass cleaner||Rubbing alcohol||Vehicle batteries|
|Brass polish||Glue||Rug cleaner||Wax|
|Cables (computer)||CPU (hard drives)||Monitors||TVs|
|Camcorders||Digital cameras||Networking equipment||Video game consoles|
|CD/VCR/DVD players||Electrical cables||Pagers||Strings of holiday lights|
|Cell phones||Fax machines||Phones|
|Computer components||Hard drives||Notebook computers|
|Expanded Electronics Program:|
|Small appliances||Gaming equipment||Audio and video equipment||Toys|
|Wireless devices||Power tools||Musical instruments||Solar panels (residential sized or on solar garden lights)|
Additional Waste Services
The City of Leduc offers a variety of programs and services making it easy for residents to manage their waste effectively and keep material from being landfilled.
In addition to the Curbside Cart Collection & Recycling Program, you are encouraged to take advantage of the following services:
- Yard waste drop-off at the Yard Waste Transfer Station
- Large item pickup
- Christmas tree recycling
- Household hazardous waste drop-off
- E-waste drop-off
Large Item Pickup
COVID-19 safety reminder to only handle your own items. Please note that only collectors are permitted to take items from the curbside and they will be properly protected.
Each year in May, residents may place large items out with their regular carts for collection (2 item limit per household). Items more than 60 inches wide (5 feet) and 150 pounds (68 kg) will not be picked up.
Guidelines for collection:
- Please place large items out by 7 a.m. on your collection day, one metre away from your carts and blue bags.
- If the large item is an outdoor item or a toy, please tag it with a sign indicating "Large Item Pickup" so it is clearly marked for collection (e.g. bicycles, hockey nets).
- Service is for city curbside collection customers only.
Examples of accepted items:
- Water heaters
- Lawn mowers - must have oil and gas removed
- Electronics (items such as TVs and stereos are acceptable, residents are advised against leaving out items containing sensitive information such as computers and tablets)
- Appliances other than fridges and freezers. Fridges and freezers can be taken to the Waste Management Facility for proper disposal. A $26 fee applies.
Items that are NOT accepted:
- Household hazardous waste
- Construction waste
- Propane tanks
- Sod and yard waste
Christmas Tree Recycling
Christmas trees are picked up with regular curbside collection. Check your collection calendar for pick-up schedule.
- Cut the tree to lengths of 4 feet at maximum
- Put your tree 1m away from your carts on your regular collection day
- Trees are taken to the compost collection facility for chipping
Tree pickup will occur later in the day. Alternately, you can take your tree to the Yard Waste Transfer Station.
Habitat for Humanity Donation Pick-up
Once per month, Habitat for Humanity Restore will pick up gently used items
from your business or residence.
|Cabinets||Windows||Lumber (clean/no nails)|
|Tools||New carpet||Kitchen sinks|
|Plumbing fixtures (no toilets)||Furniture (dressers/tables/chairs)||Appliances (washers/dryers/stoves/fridges)|
|Bathtubs (clawfoot/acrylic)||Lighting fixtures|
Call the Restore-Donation Pickup at 780-477-4057 or visit their website to arrange donation and pickup.
Managing Extra Waste
If you can’t fit all of your waste into your waste cart (with the lid closed tight):
- Take your extra waste to the Eco Station. One bag of waste is accepted free of charge and any additional bags are $2/bag. Starting Dec. 9, 2020, the Eco Station will not accept cash temporarily due to COVID-19 precautions. A limit of 2 free bags of household waste will be accepted.
- Take your extra waste to the Waste Management Facility where it is free for residents with a resident card.
- Rent an extra waste cart for $12.25/month for a minimum period of 6 months. Certain terms of service are in place for residents arranging for a second waste cart. Call the Eco-smart Hotline at 780-980-7107 for details.