Back to school safety tips
With students back to school this week, the community is asked to be attentive and considerate of pedestrians, cyclists and an increase in traffic on our roads.
Please consider the following tips to help ensure everyone's safety:
- Pay attention to posted speed limits, especially when entering school or playground zones. Slow speeds can improve your reaction time.
- When a school bus is flashing its red lights, stop and do not pass. Children may be getting on or off the bus.
- Share the road with cyclists. Be patient when following and provide extra space when passing.
- When pedestrians are crossing the street, come to a complete stop and do not block the crosswalk with your vehicle. Ensure pedestrians have cleared the road before proceeding.
- Always follow the direction of crossing guards. They are there to keep children safe.
- Look out for children, especially during school operating hours. Kids can easily become distracted and unaware of their surroundings.
The City of Leduc and Leduc RCMP wish all students, staff, parents and guardians a safe and happy school year.