- Nominee(s) must be an athlete, team, builder or leader within the sporting community.
- Nominee(s) must have lived within the City of Leduc or Leduc County and/or have been involved in a Leduc sport organization in order to be eligible.
- Nominations can be submitted posthumously.
- Nominee must have developed their skill level to a provincial, national, or international standard while a resident of the City of Leduc or Leduc County and may also have gone elsewhere during their career and achieved recognition and honours.
- Exceptions may be made at the discretion of the selection committee.
It’s important to note that in the case of non-traditional activities or where doubt exists to the legitimacy of a nominee or sport, the judgement of the selection committee will prevail. Please note the following that would be considered as ineligible:
- Touring teams
- Activities that are non-competitive, goal-setting, such as swim marathons
- Candidates who lived in Leduc or Leduc County who left before developing their skill
- Candidates who had temporary residency in Leduc just for training, while maintaining permanent residency elsewhere
- Evaluated based on their contribution to their sport at the provincial, national, international and professional levels.
- The athlete will be valued on their personal achievements, awards or accomplishments, as well as the impact they made to their sport in Leduc.
- Normally, the athlete is retired from competitions, but this isn't mandatory.
- At least 50 per cent of team members must be Leduc or Leduc County residents.
- The team must have competed at a western, national or international competition and/or the team won at the highest level of competition.
- The team will have made an impact on sport in Leduc.
- A leader/builder directs athletes in a leadership capacity and has made a major contribution to the development of sport in Leduc.
- The leader shall be formally recognized for their initiative, leadership and dedication to sport in Leduc.
- Can be a coach, manager, official, administrator, trainer, volunteer or group of volunteers, facility/program developer or media member, but is NOT a professional promotor, sponsor or fundraiser.
- May be active or inactive at the time of nomination, but will be evaluated based on their outstanding effort in one or more sports, usually over a period of at least 10 years (not necessarily consecutive). Special consideration may be approved by the committee.
- Each nomination is considered by the Leduc Sports Hall of Fame Committee for three (3) consecutive selection years. If a nominee is not chosen for induction during the three (3) consecutive years, the nomination can be resubmitted. Additional information must accompany a resubmission.
- The nominator is responsible for submitting a complete application with all pertinent details and may be contacted for clarification, if necessary. The nominator may include up to a maximum of five (5) pages for the application. Additional support material may be included with the nomination. The support material must directly relate to the above information.
- A maximum of four (4) inductees per year.
- Inductions may not occur annually if suitable candidates are not received.
- The Leduc Sports Hall of Fame Selection Committee will review all nominations and, based on the outlined criteria, select the recipient(s).
The selection committee has compiled a list of tips and hints to help you when submitting your nomination:
- Assume the committee does not know the nominee or anything about their contributions to their sport. In your answers, tell us everything that is relevant we need to know to evaluate the nominee.
- The committee will rely on your examples to appreciate the strength of your nominee’s achievements and/or contributions. Try to use specific examples to show why your nominee deserves this award.
- Remember the committee may receive multiple nominations but will only be able to recognize a limited number of them in the Induction Class. Highlight what makes your nominee stand out above other possible nominees.
- Describe the nominee and their contribution succinctly and accurately. Provide necessary details and examples that show the significance of their contribution and dedication to the sport. Keep your writing clear and simple.
- You may nominate more than one individual or team. Please complete a separate nomination form for each nominee.
- Highlight the impact the athlete, or the team made to sport and/or in the City of Leduc.